Login (unique) problems with termin

valsee at qat.UUCP valsee at qat.UUCP
Sat Dec 30 01:26:00 AEST 1989

Written by dialogic.UUCP!drich in qat:comp.unix.wizards:

> If you want to reset the terminal without running your login script,
> just type the following sequence of commands:
> % tset -sQ <terminal-name> > .temp
> % source .temp		(. .temp)
> % rm .temp
>
> The problem is, that tset outputs the TERM= and TERMCAP= to standard
> out.  This is supposed to be interpreted by the shell, but for some
> reason this never seems to work.  I have used the above three lines in
> my .login for the last couple of years, and have never had a problem.

one can get around this in Bourne shell by using the eval statement and
command substitution, i.e. " eval `tset -s -Q....` ".  i don't know off
the top of my head if there is an equivalent for csh; i certainly can't
remember one at the moment.

of course, the above capture method works perfectly, so i suppose one
could ask "why mess with success?"

-- valerie see  ...texbell!techsup!qat!valsee
		seev at techsup.lonestar.org