I'd like to talk to others using Unix database systems for instruction

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Fri Dec 15 06:29:43 AEST 1989

We're trying to use one of the major Unix database systems (for
various reasons I'm not going to say which in this message: one of
Ingres, Oracle, Sybase) in a large undergraduate database course.
We're having serious problems keeping it alive.  We have to restart
the server several times a day, and there seem to be several different
problems.  The vendor is very helpful, and seems committed to fixing
the problems.  But

 - they can't fix things fast enough to avoid a disaster this
	semester

 - the fix will take the form of a new release with yet more major
	new features.  I don't believe I'm going to be able to
	convince our faculty to accept this.

I'm interested in knowing whether all the big DB systems, or whether
we'd be better off with a different vendor.  Would anybody be willing
to share your experiences with me (presumably via email)?  I'll be
happy to give more detail of our experiences as well.