Manual Feed Under lpd

Joe Habermann haberman at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU
Fri Dec 15 07:49:19 AEST 1989

We are using the Berkeley LPD software with Adobe Transcript 2.1 under
SunOS 4.0.3.  We would like to do manual feed at times on our Apple
LaserWriter NTX.

So far I've figured out that sending the following line before the
printjob will enable manual feed:

statusdict /manualfeed true put

I was wondering what the best approach would be.

Basically, my goal is to be able to 'lpr -M filename' and have it work
whether or not 'filename' is PostScript or just ascii.

I'm trying to avoid hard-wiring it into pscomm.c since we have some
printers using (LPD + transcript + papif) and some just using
(LPD + transcript + <serial port>).

One of the methods that I thought of that I've been told won't work was
to revector one of the input filters to point to my own version of
papif to insert the code.  I've heard that that is dangerous to do
since transcript uses those filter names for its own special purposes.

Has anybody done this successfully?  Any ideas?

Thanks much,

Joe Habermann
haberman at s1.msi.umn.edu / ..!rutgers!umn-cs!haberman