Login (unique) problems with terminal emulations.

Dan Rich drich at .UUCP
Fri Dec 29 01:50:11 AEST 1989

In article <1471 at lakesys.lakesys.com> johnb at lakesys.lakesys.com (John C. Burant) writes:
... Problem with setting terminal type ...

Before I go off into an answer for this, does anyone know of a way to
auto-identify a terminal at login?  I know that this can be done,
because years ago, I used such a program under VMS.  It would
recognize a VT100, TVI920, ADM3a, and several other terminals.  Here,
we use vt100, vt220, and at386 (the ISC 386/ix console).  It would be
nice if I could find out what kind of terminal the user is without
asking...

Note: All commands in () are for ksh.

First of all, when you execute a .login (.profile) with csh (ksh), it
won't return any of the variables to the envoirment.  The command you
want it source (.) as in:
% source ~/.login 	(. ~/.profile)

If you want to reset the terminal without running your login script,
just type the following sequence of commands:
% tset -sQ <terminal-name> > .temp
% source .temp		(. .temp)
% rm .temp

The problem is, that tset outputs the TERM= and TERMCAP= to standard
out.  This is supposed to be interpreted by the shell, but for some
reason this never seems to work.  I have used the above three lines in
my .login for the last couple of years, and have never had a problem.
Dan Rich                    | ARPA: drich%dialogic at uunet.uu.net
UNIX Systems Administrator  | UUCP: uunet!dialogic!drich
Dialogic Corporation        | - Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime, doubly so. -
(201) 334-1268 x213         |                           Douglas Adams