Login (unique) problems with terminal emulations.

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Dec 28 23:11:50 AEST 1989

In article <1471 at lakesys.lakesys.com>, johnb at lakesys.lakesys.com (John C. Burant) writes:
> Hmph..  I've talked to the local unix guru (well...) and he's had the exact
> same problem and it doesn't work.
> I know UNIX and terms don't mix (polar and nonpolar?) very well, but when
> it works from login and not from executing the .login or .profile file,
> something is screwed up.

If you are running your .profile/.login which sets the TERM and/or TERMCAP
variable appropriately when you login, you must be running it wrong when
you try to do it again.

If you asked you local unix guru about it and he didn't know what the problem
was, he isn't much of a guru.

The problem is either you .profile does not set the environment variable
if it is already set or you are not "sourcing" the .profile.  By sourcing
the .profile I mean typing ". .profile" as opposed to ".profile".  (This
asumes you are running a version of unix that is > V6 ).

If you don't source the .profile, it runs as a sub-shell and sets the
environment variables in the sub-shell, not your login shell.  As soon as
the sub-shell exits, those variables are gone.