modern terminals

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Mon Jan 9 01:10:09 AEST 1989

Doug Gwyn wrote:

> Fine, if you make it a Teletype model 630.  If an employee isn't worth
> investing $2K for dramatically improved productivity then I feel sorry
> for the employer.

Followed shortly thereafter by Griff Smith:

> I don't think Doug is dreaming; if you're stuck with an old
> 24x80 non-windowed terminal, it's more like a nightmare.

Speaking as one who used to use a 630MTG with layers under UNIX and
is now using a vt220 with VMS,  I agree.

Just now though, I'd be happy to get a larger display with say 35 lines on
the screen and a paper-white phosphor.  In part I'm a bit more tolerant
of the plain terminal because I'm using emacs and that will sort of give me
windows.

Followups to comp.terminals please....