dump/restore document available

David P. Zimmerman dpz at dorm.rutgers.edu
Sat Jan 21 15:11:45 AEST 1989

I have written up a document intended to help operators and systems
programmers with the Berkeley 4.3BSD dump(8) and restore(8) programs.
It covers aspects of dump and restore ranging from backup scripts and
operations to internals and a bit of history.  Tips on porting the
4.3BSD dump and restore to your system are in the closing section,
along with a pointer to real, live code.  Theoretically, operators
will be concerned with the beginning, managers with the middle,
programmers with the end, and hackers with everything except
operations.  It also includes sample backup shell scripts and
explanations of what can, and often does, go wrong.

Since I hear dump, restore, and their manpages are currently
considered trade secret AT&T, I can't post the document.  I have
mucked around with source and the porting tips are based on that
knowledge.  However, if you are interested in this document, and you
mention that you have an appropriate source code license, I will be
happy to mail you a copy.  I've run this past a number of our
operators so far, new and old, and have gotten a good bit of
enthusiasm about it.

					David
--
David P. Zimmerman, the Dorm Networking Pilot Project, the UUCP Project, etc
dpz at dorm.rutgers.edu          rutgers!dpz          dpzimmerman at zodiac.bitnet