Incorrect mail return-path headers (should be jgarb at trace.erim.org)

Joe Garbarino jgarb at BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 21 13:49:17 AEST 1989

Hi.  I'm Joe Garbarino with ERIM in Ann Arbor, Mi.  I was charged with
setting up our sendmail daemon configuration files.  Most of our systems
work fine except the one I'm sending this message from.  It does not put
the correct return-path address in the header, always putting just the
username of the sender of the message without including a machine name.
The header section in our sendmail.cf file looks like:

###   Format of headers
H?P?Return-Path: <$g>
HReceived: $?sfrom $s $.by $j$?T via $T$.; $b
H?D?Resent-Date: $a
H?D?Date: $a
H?F?Resent-From: $q
H?F?From: $q
H?x?Full-Name: $x
HSubject:
#H?M?Resent-Message-Id: <$t.$i@$j>
#H?M?Message-Id: <$t.$i@$j>

I have a few questions concerning this.

1) Is most of the header formed at the source computer or the
destination, specifically the return path field?

2) If at the source, shouldn't the $g macro provide the correct
information for that field? (other machines here that work have the
same definition for the return-path field)

3) If at the destination, how does the destination machine create the
return-path?  Is my machine not providing enough information?

I RTFM but couldn't pick this information out.  Thanks for any help you
can provide.

						Joe Garbarino
						ERIM
						P.O. Box 8618