Controlling ttys, and how to get ri

root at spdyne.UUCP root at spdyne.UUCP
Tue Jan 10 07:52:00 AEST 1989

In article <176 at ucms.ucms.uucp> dave at ucms.UUCP (Dave Settle) writes:

>What happens is that in some circumstances, I can only login using an account
>without a password. If I try to login as a user who has a password, I get:

>Machine XYZ .... etc
>login: dave
>Login incorrect
>login:

>This affects every user who has a password, but only affects the one terminal -
>I can login on other terminals fine (it asks for my password as per usual).

	Yea, I've had the same problem with a similar kind of thing under
Microport 386.  I had written a 'uutty' (well, I hacked the posted uutty
till it wasn't reconsiable, but was effecient, and handled the kind of
problems that I was having...)  Anyway, the problem seemed to be when
I exec'ed login username, login would put out the login failed and then
would reprompt for login:....

	It would come and go... I never figured out why it wouldn't work
sometimes...Since I got 3.0e, I have been able to use ttyM00 and thus
I no longer needed the 'uutty'.  (I have a compaq & Dos-Merge..)

	-Chert Pellett
	 root at spdyne