problems with Telebit and dialTBIT.c

Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM
Wed Jan 25 23:37:54 AEST 1989

I am still having problems with the Telebit modem running under SCO Xenix
386 version 2.3.1! Here are the changes that I made:

1) I added the following line to the Devices file:
   ACU tty1A - 1200-19200 /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT

2) I made a new entry in /etc/gettydefs to reflect the 19200 baud (EXTA)
   rate (which is mostly the same as entry 3 (1200) but I added CTSFLOW
   and RTSFLOW. I made another entry, as a test case, with only CTSFLOW.

3) I setup configuration A, on the TBIT, to run without flow control so
   that I can talk to it with cu.

4) I switched to configuration B and ran /usr/lib/dialTBIT -z /dev/tty2a 19200.

5) The program just hung and the only way out was to kill the process.

6) I switched over to configuration A and ran cu. When I did an at&n2, it
   turned out that dialTBIT did set the configuration in properly since it
   matched EXACTLY what SCO had listed in the source listing of the dialer.

7) When I enabled the port, it seems that getty must look at the Devices file
   since it was calling the dialer with a -hx0 option. This is when the
   complete SCO setup fell flat on its face! The dialer, it seemed, could NOT
   communicate with the modem properly and the only way out was to disable
   the port, kill the dialer process, and switch over to configuration A,
   which was exactly the same as SCO's but without flow control. This
   seemed to work just fine.

Therefore, I have the following questions:

1) Does SCO's drivers REALLY support flow control or is this just a joke
   on the users?

2) Has anyone had any luck running this without any changes and what was
   your gettydefs entry, etc.

Sandy

--
Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz               XBBS   714-898-8634
UUCP: ....att!hermix!alphacm!sandy      ....trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy