AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

Dennis L. Mumaugh dlm at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Fri Jan 20 09:46:06 AEST 1989

In article <163 at flnexus.ATT.COM> heff at flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul_Heffner) writes:
>The second serial port on the base controller for the 630 is for
>a printer port, you cannot use it for a second host access. The
>SSI/EIA board is needed for this purpose. (The SSI port lets you
>hook it to a 6500 family controller for access to the Synchronous/IBM
>world.)

Odd, my 630 interfaced to two different hosts without the extra board.

>Yeah, I guess you could say that (I'm in layers on a 620 right now),
>but the 630 is much better than the 620 in practically all respects.
>Being limited to only one host is a real beat and this little turkey
>won't come up in layers across our data switch (an equinox DSS) so I
>have to use it directly connected to the host.

Funny, my 620 setup menu does have an encoding option.   It seems to
work okay.

>The 4014 graphics terminal mode is pretty nice but the 3b2 graphics
>software doesn't seem to like it too well.

Odd, I compiled a fractal program with the 4014 graphics library, and
it worked.  It IS true recent versions of System V Reease 2 & 3 have
removed the graphics software and libraies.

>While the 620 is a merely another ANSI
>terminal which has a graphics mode and does a really good job on windowing
>to "layers". It also has some strange ideosyncrasies absent from the
>630 (as an example, when you fire up layers it paints the screen with
>textured video and doesn't give you an initial window. You then need to
>use the mouse to get to an initial window and do your work.

I found that you could have windows created automagically with the
layers -f option.   RTFM.

> On the 630, it leaves your current window as the first xt window and indicates the
>use of layers with the tiny "overlapping boxes" icon in the border of the
>window.)

True.  Menus and such are much better.  Also the default window
software has scroll bars, cut and paste and inter-window features that
are similar to Open Look -- guess which came first.

>The layers support software is supplied with all releases of System V
>release 3.x that I've seen. The 5620 DMD software doesn't give you
>anything of use on the 620.

Not directly, but the icon files are similar and some of the
source can be ported -- the difference is a 32 bit WE32100 and a
16 bit MC68000.
--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm at arpa.att.com