Should I switch to VMS for software development?

Dean Karres dean at usceast.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 14:48:39 AEST 1989

In article <901 at hdr.UUCP> eric at hdr.UUCP (Eric J. Johnson) writes:

>Help! The new boss has decided that we no longer need our 3B15 running
>UNIX System V for software development, but can get along instead with
>a VAX 11/730 running VMS.  :-(
>..

If your company is, currently, a solid Unix shop who's employees don't
grok VMS then there will be a learning curve for your developers. Is
this a significant time/money concern? Who knows. But it is a
concideration.

If your shop is already mixed, Unix/VMS or Unix/*, then there is
probably no real reason not to spead development tasks over the
available machines.

Another concideration is since the "new boss" wants this change is it
possible that (s)he is a VMS type and doesn't grok Unix? Also, it has
been my experience that "general user security" on VMS is somewhat
more -er- robust than that found on vanilla Sys V Unix. So, if your
development tasks *must* be separate and secure VMS *may* offer a
solution of sorts.

Dean Karres

--
Dean Karres
US-Mail: Math & Stat Comp Cntr, Math Dept, USC, Columbia, SC 29208