Should I switch to VMS for software development?

Eric J. Johnson eric at hdr.UUCP
Fri Jan 6 08:21:30 AEST 1989

Help!  The new boss has decided that we no longer need our 3B15 running
UNIX System V for software development, but can get along instead with
a VAX 11/730 running VMS.  :-(

Our software development duties including the building of language products
(using yacc/lex, etc.) and communications interfaces, and the porting thereof
to a number of target operating systems (lots of flavors of Unix, VMS, PC-DOS,
OS-1100, etc.)  UNIX for us has been an excellent platform for us in this
type of work.

If anyone has put together a list/report comparing UNIX and VMS for software
development, or has their own insights, I would greatly appreciate hearing
from you!  As you might guess, I am rather fond of UNIX and would like to
keep it around.

--
Eric J. Johnson,  Amperif Corporation.  UUCP: eric at hdr.UUCP
Perhaps, once upon a time, some Devilish hacker planted a bomb deep in the