Yellow Pages...What Happens when it can't bind

mcneill mcneill at eplrx7.UUCP
Wed Jan 25 05:46:49 AEST 1989

The other day two of our machines ate up 80% of the ethernet bandwidth by
continuously broadcasting multicast packets (it kinda slowed down a very
large corporate network....ooops).  I think that the problem was caused by
yellow pages.  At the time both of those machines where disconnected from
their yellow pages server.  What is the algorithm that is used by a yellow
pages client when it loses contact with it's yellow pages server?  Do the
clients continuously broadcast looking for a server or is their some sort of
backoff algorithm?  The machines in question are Sun 3/60's running 3.5 (1
may be running 4.0...I'm not sure).

Thanks,

Keith
--
    Keith D. McNeill              |    E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mcneill at uunet.uu.net   |    Engineering Physics Laboratory