X Window System

Joe Garbarino jgarb at erim.org
Wed Jan 25 01:26:27 AEST 1989

The book

%A Robert W. Scheifler
%A James Gettys
%A Ron Newman
%T X Window System C Library and Protocol Reference
%I Digital Press
%C Bedford, MA
%D 1988

gives a description and history of the X Window System (MIT requests the
name X-Windows not be used).  It also provides descriptions of library
routines used to access the lowest level of software.  On top of this
base is built libraries of "widgets" which are higher level entities such
as text windows, scroll bars, etc.  On top of the widgets are various
interactive user interface creation tools which provide placement of
widgets using a mouse, and create the C code necessary for an executable
program.

We have been using the X Window System for about five months, along with
the interactive user interface creation system TAE+.  After the initial
ramp-up which is required when installing any new product, we have become
very comfortable and impressed with the system, and have easily created
a user interface for an image display program we use here.

					Joe Garbarino
					ERIM
					P.O. Box 8618
					Ann Arbor, Mi.  48107