Looking for "undump" for SysV

David Collier-Brown daveb at geaclib.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 12:45:12 AEST 1989

> In article <404 at cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> ferencz at cwsys3.cwru.Edu (Don Ferencz) writes:
>> I have been looking (high and low) for a UNIX SysV.3 version of
>> undump (or an equivalent a.out <-> core combining program).

>From article <1527 at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, by wescott at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott):
> As one poster suggested, it may not be that much of an advantage for TeX.

  And in general, you want a facility to store configuration
information in an easy-to-access manner. Dump/undump and unexec are
two well-known ways of doing this, but there are others.  One I like
is to write a (necessarily non-portable) binary file from the
contents of a struct, having created it with a #ifdef'd version of
the standard source.
  This doesn't really work for TeX, though, as you'd have to write a
**remarkably** large chunk of core (;-)).
  Or, if you don't like non-portable tricks, have the configuration
compiled to a user-specific library and dynamically links it by name
(this assumes that you have dynamic linking, of course).

--adev
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |