rsh environment

Mike Khaw mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA
Tue Jan 3 05:32:12 AEST 1989

<49 at rpi.edu>, by kyriazis at rpics (George Kyriazis):
+ In article <15215 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
+>
+>4BSD's `rsh' remote shell (not restricted shell) runs the login user's
+>shell.  If that shell is a `csh', it reads ~/.cshrc under the usual
+>restrictions for `csh -c' commands.
+>
+
+ then can you tell me why when I do   'rsh localhost ph'
+ where ph is my alias for 'ps aux | head' it says  'ph: Command not found' ??
+ I set up my aliases in my .cshrc.   Also when I do    rsh localhost alias
+ it doesn't show anything.  If I do rsh localhost printenv  it just shows
+ 4 shell variabls and not the tons I usually have.  Any ideas?

If you do "rsh localhost set" you will probably find that "term" and
"prompt" are not set.  So it looks like an rsh command runs a csh that
doesn't think it's an interactive shell (sorta makes sense).  Your
.cshrc probably contains tests for $prompt and/or $term being set.
Move the aliases, etc., that you want available to rsh commands outside
the test clause.

Disclaimer:  I get this behavior on Ultrix 2.2 and SunOS 3.x; your
environment may differ.

Mike Khaw
internet: mkhaw at teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|ames|hplabs}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa
hardcopy: Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303