Anyone want to try out my new shell?

Kenneth Almquist ka at june.cs.washington.edu
Fri Jan 20 08:17:00 AEST 1989

There seems to be a law that says that right after you release a copy of
a program you will find a bug in it.  So in order to find the bugs in
my shell I have decided to start mailing out copies of it.  Prospectus:

  - Shell functions are done a bit better than in System V.  You can set
    up a directory of shell functions and include it in your path, so your
    functions are there when you want them and you don't pay for them if
    you don't use them.

  - Berkeley job control support is included.

  - Expr(1) is built in.

  - Most of the System V shell is implemented.  A few shell builtins (getopts,
    times, ulimit) are not included, a few options (a, h, t, u, v) are not
    supported, and a few features (checking for mail, <&-) are missing.

  - You get source, so you can add your favorite features.

If you are interested, drop me a note and I'll start mailing out copies
in a couple of days.  The shell is pretty big, so it's best if you are
on the internet.
				Kenneth Almquist