spiffy terminals, cont. (was: AT&T 630 terminal - software ??)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jan 20 07:38:33 AEST 1989

In article <34808 at bbn.COM> ellard at vax.bbn.com (Dan Ellard) writes:
-On the other hand, it just doesn't make sense to put a workstation
-(or the same kind of workstation, for that matter) on everyone's
-desk.  Some tasks, such as data entry or reading email, don't currently
-benefit from using anything better than a dumb terminal, and perhaps
-they never will.

Ah, but that's what I argue is NOT true.  In fact I make heavy use
of the 630's spiffy features in responding to email/netnews.  One
doesn't have to be a programmer to benefit from better tools.

I'm sure there are cases where the additional price of a spiffy
terminal would not be justified, but those cases are fewer than
many suppose.