spiffy terminals (was: printf, data presentation)

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sun Jan 15 05:21:35 AEST 1989

[Will someone explain to me what spiffy terminals have to with comp.lang.c?]

As quoted from <9312 at smoke.BRL.MIL> by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ):
+---------------
| In article <10773 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
| >Doug - the Wyse-50 can do all that, except the different font
| >sizes, with appropriate software support.
|
| With enough software one can do almost anything..
+---------------

Err, he meant things like the WY-50's ability to split the screen vertically
into two windows, etc.  (I never did find a use for that feature.)  Note
that this does *not* constitute a windowing system.

+---------------
| I also haven't seen a good mindowing system for dumb CRTs.
| (I've seen lots of windowing systems, just no good ones.)
+---------------

I'm still waiting to see what SCO Multiview looks like -- but I'm not
holding my breath; I just grabbed UW (4.2; is there a later version, with
servers for MisDOS and Mac, and maybe Amiga?) to put up on our systems.

+---------------
| Besides, the question was whether "ordinary" users "needed"
| such features.  If you can really conveniently have them on
| terminal X, then you can class that flavor of terminal X
| with the 630 for purposes of this discussion.  I'm not trying
| to push a particular brand, just the general use of powerful
| tools.

I know quite a few people (our clients :-( ;-) who wouldn't know what to do
with a Blit; Wyse 50's are a nice, safe choice for them.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc    allbery at ncoast.org (soon)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser