spiffy terminals (was: printf, data presentation)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Jan 8 14:37:29 AEST 1989

In article <10773 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>Doug - the Wyse-50 can do all that, except the different font
>sizes, with appropriate software support.

With enough software one can do almost anything..

I didn't realize the Wyse 50 had a mouse!  I suppose one could use
arrow and function keys as a poor man's substitute, but it wouldn't
be nearly as fast and convenient.

I also haven't seen a good mindowing system for dumb CRTs.
(I've seen lots of windowing systems, just no good ones.)

Except for multiple layers, which obviously requires software
support on the part of the host, the 630 has all the features
I mentioned built-in.  This means they are available from the
time it is taken out of the box, on any system supporting
serial ASCII terminals.

Besides, the question was whether "ordinary" users "needed"
such features.  If you can really conveniently have them on
terminal X, then you can class that flavor of terminal X
with the 630 for purposes of this discussion.  I'm not trying
to push a particular brand, just the general use of powerful
tools.