I wish vi were more graceful when a file system is full

Gregory M. Paris gmp at rayssd.ray.com
Thu Jan 19 13:46:13 AEST 1989

In <27569 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> haynes at ucscc.ucsc.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
> So has anybody patched vi to give the user some kind of helpful
> message suggesting what to do when the file cannot be written
> because the file system is full?

I have it say, "Don't quit!  Get help."  Works for about 75% of users.
Those that still do a ":q!" and get burned are less likely to be mad
at me than they were before.  Not a perfect solution by any means,
but it has helped.

--
Greg Paris <gmp at rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,garp,gatech,necntc,spdcc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp