I wish vi were more graceful when a file system is full

Gene Spafford spaf at cs.purdue.edu
Thu Jan 19 23:24:14 AEST 1989

Whenever I used to teach short courses on vi, I would always teach
users that they could type ":preserve" if the disk filled up.  Assuming
that the disk you are writing to is not also the one where the
preserved file goes (usually the case), this works just dandy.

Of course, if "preserve" fails, then you've got the same problem....

Most people don't seem to know about "preserve" so I just thought
I'd mention it.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,