Yet Another useful paper

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Tue Jan 3 04:19:10 AEST 1989

In article <1273 at altger.UUCP> vyrus at altger.UUCP (vyrus) writes:
}I have heard about a paper presenting a mathematical formulation of a fast
}implementation of the DES in software able of speding up UNIX crypt()
}password encryption routine by roughtly 20 times. (@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com)
}
}I wonder if someone would mind telling more about the matter or, (even better!)
}sending me an high language (C? great!) implementation of such algorithm.
}
This is certainly possible, but the implementation in Unix is made slow
on purpose, to make password cracking more time consuming...

}Another thing: I tried for over a month to design in C a decent pseudo
}random generator, but in vain. I know there is a lot a theory about
}random generators, but where are the samples? Now I am using DES to generate
}pseudo randomness and the process is terribly slooow. Any hints?
}
}[well, I did succeeed in writing my program, but when I applied its output
}to David Wood's Random_Number_Generator_Tester.c I found it was too bad]
}
Des is certainly an akward choice. rand() is not very random, but have
you tried the berkeley "random" function? I don't have the source at hand
right now, but it is probably reasonably random and fast.

Paul.