AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jan 20 00:59:49 AEST 1989

In article <163 at flnexus.ATT.COM> heff at flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul_Heffner) writes:
>The second serial port on the base controller for the 630 is for
>a printer port, you cannot use it for a second host access.

Not true; it can be configured via the SETUP menus either way
(or left unused).

>Being limited to only one host is a real beat and this little turkey
>won't come up in layers across our data switch (an equinox DSS) so I
>have to use it directly connected to the host.

Isn't there an "encoding" option you can turn on?  The problem is
that many terminal switches are not designed to transparently pass,
unmolested, all 8 data bits, which are needed in unencoded layers
mode.  Encoded mode uses just those bit patterns that are likely
to make it through such switches.

The nicest way to access multiple hosts is via transparent network
access (rlogin or equivalent) in a separate window.  The fact that
data is being routed through the host first connected to is not
usually a problem.

>The layers support software is supplied with all releases of System V
>release 3.x that I've seen. The 5620 DMD software doesn't give you
>anything of use on the 620.

It does if you don't already HAVE ("xt" protocol) layers support
on your host.