AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Jan 11 04:57:55 AEST 1989

In article <242 at hsi86.hsi.UUCP> stevens at hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
>All this discussion about the AT&T 630 terminal (the derivative
>of the Blit) got me wondering exactly what it was (I know what
>the Blit is/was).  I called AT&T and they claim the list price
>is $1,225 - I was expecting something in the $2k ballpark (or more).

The price has been continually decreasing.  There are options that
can raise the price.  The base 640K memory is probably enough for
most purposes but can be expanded.  If you would like to attach to
TWO host systems AND a serial printer (for screen dumps, etc.) then
an extra serial interface option is available.  That's how mine is
set up.  (My first host is a PACX terminal switch and the second is
the Sun-3/50M also on my desk.  My printer is an H-P ThinkJet.)

>What software is available for it ?  The AT&T literature says
>it "all" comes with System V, Release 3.  My SVR3.2 manuals
>(for the 386) have man pages for layers(1), xt(7) and the like,
>but what sort of other tools are available ??  I recall Rob
>Pike's posting a few months back saying that the sam editor was
>now available from the Toolchest.  I've heard of a program called
>proof that is a ditroff-previewer, which, if available, would convince
>me to order the terminal immediately.

The basic layers multiplexing is a standard part of UNIX System V
Release 3 ("basic windowing utilities" package).  Special applications
such as "proof" and "sam" must be obtained from other sources.  The
630MTG cross-compilation system is available under separate license
and is needed to compile 630 downloadable interactive processes.
Otherwise, it is easy to adapt 5620 DMD applications if you have them.
I think the AT&T/Teletype folks in Skokie, IL (Dan Wolski, 630 terminal
product manager, and crew) can provide additional software availability
information as well as a version of the compilation package for use on
4.3BSD (developed primarily at UCSD).  I can also help to some degree,
although my 630 work is on the back burner for a couple more months.

Is it worth the hassle?  You bet!