AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

root at spdyne.UUCP root at spdyne.UUCP
Wed Jan 18 07:57:00 AEST 1989

> In article <1003 at vsi.COM>, friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> > Sorry, AT&T has mislead you.  This is the pricing for the 630:
> >
> >   Part #             Description                        List
> > ----------        -------------------------            ------
> > 3344-630          Terminal Controller Base             $1,225
> > 33534COL19        Amber 16" Display Monitor             1,080
> > 33537             122-key keyboard                        195
> > 33535             SSI/EIA board                           300
> > 33536             Mouse                                   150
> >                                                        ------
> >                   TOTAL                                $2,950
> >
> > I think all the parts are needed, certainly the base, monitor
> > and keyboard.  Even our reseller cost is > $2300, so if you can
> > get it for under $2k then go for it.

     And just think, We are paying about $2,400 for an AST 286/10 With
1 Meg of Ram, EGA, 1 Serial & 1 Par. W/ Multi-Sync monitor... They make
fine terminals....  I see no reason to "go for it" at all..  For 500 bucks
more I can get a Amber monitor?  (Yes, I KNOW that this is ONLY a terminal
and I am talking about getting a real computer for use as a 'smart terminal',
but then, why not?  Unless you are doing I/O at 19,200 And doing large block
transfers  (Graphic pages using >20K or so per page), I see little reason
to buy terminals at all anymore...

	On the other hand, I haven't ever seen on of these terminals, so
who knows it might even outperform a programable computer... :-)

	-Chert Pellett
	 root at spdyne