Sun console driver questions (cons.c)

Jeff Lo jlo at elan.elan.com
Sat Jul 22 04:35:14 AEST 1989

In article <20305 at adm.BRL.MIL> bjp at mbunix.mitre.org writes:
>couple of questions.  I'm looking through cons.c source for version 3.2.
>a check is done on a flag, consdev, to determing if it is the console device
>or a pseudo-console.  Why is such a distinction made? What would be the
>purpose in using a terminal other than the one installed as the console
>device?

On most Sun systems, the console is a bit-mapped display used for windows,
not a serial line type device.  The various window systems (X, NeWS,
SunView, etc.) allow you a terminal window which acts as your console.
This way, rather than having console messages mess up your windowed
display, they go into a window.  I imagine this is what the pseudo-console
is referring to.
--
Jeff Lo, Elan Computer Group, Inc.
jlo at elan.com, ..!{ames,uunet}!elan!jlo