Sun console driver questions (cons.c)

bjp at mbunix.mitre.org bjp at mbunix.mitre.org
Fri Jul 21 05:52:30 AEST 1989

I'm wondering if any of you guys on this mailing list can help out on a
couple of questions.  I'm looking through cons.c source for version 3.2.
Sun Unix, and I noticed in some of the routines (eg. cnselect(), cnread()) a
check is done on a flag, consdev, to determing if it is the console device
or a pseudo-console.  Why is such a distinction made? What would be the
purpose in using a terminal other than the one installed as the console
device?  My other question concerns device driver entry points.  What
is the difference between ttyselect() and d_select?  Please send replys
to me at bjp at mbunix.mitre.org.

In case anyone is wondering why the old version of Sun Unix, a contractor
modified it, and locked our customer into this version, simply because
they charge too much to upgrade the customized parts.  We are trying to get
them out of this mess.  I've looked at a lot of the networking code and have
figured out most of what was done.  I'm simply unfamiliar with terminal
drivers and need some help here.

                                       Live long and prosper,
                                       bj Pease
                                       bjp at mbunix.mitre.org