uucp delivery order?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Jul 11 06:32:18 AEST 1989

In article <454 at amanue.UUCP> jr at amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> I asked this question once before & got a thundering silence -- sorry if I
> missed any replies, but I *still need to know*.  How can I guarantee that uucp
> will deliver jobs to a remote system in the order in which they were queued?
> More specifically, how can I issue a series of uux requests and be sure that
> the uuxqt at the remote end will execute them in the same order?  I have HDB
> at one end, and by the time the system is in production will have HDB at the
> other end too.  The system will be Sytem V.3 in production, if that makes any
> difference.

I'm not sure you can do what you want directly.  The traditional forms of
uucp had a "sequence file" what was somehow intended to allow uucp to
detect when a transfer got "lost".  This feature is almost entirely
unused.  I don't know that it would do quite what you want, or whether
is has survived in any usable form in HDB.

Most likely you will have to implement some kind of queueing system, where
the uux requrests simply drop that data into some kind of spool queue and
then some task has to analyze the queue and see which tasks have enough
input to run or which might need to request a resend or some nature of
manual intervention.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net