rsh problems

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Sat Jun 10 09:42:28 AEST 1989

> In article <23219.8906050826 at cxa.daresbury.ac.uk> wh%CXA.DARESBURY.AC.UK at cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Purvis) writes:

[ stuff about stty inside the .cshrc file being a no-no. ]

In article <1921 at kodak.UUCP>, lance at kodak.UUCP (Dan Lance) writes:

> Put
>
> if (! $?prompt) exit
>
> at the top of your .cshrc.
         ^^^

Not at the top! :-)

We have useful things in our .cshrc files that are desirable when
doing remote shells and non-interactive shells.

Certainly put the above "if" (and a "then") AROUND any stuff that
is done to the tty (actually that stuff can usually go in the .login
file instead), but one need not be so drastic as to exit from
the .cshrc altogether.

Then:

 [many blank lines]

> i hate inews

You too?  I have had to put in some blank lines several times
when I've only added $.02 worth to postings. :-)

Brian V. Smith
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Usual disclaimers apply in case of emergency