rsh problems

Bill Purvis wh%CXA.DARESBURY.AC.UK at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Mon Jun 5 18:26:50 AEST 1989

Dennis G. Rears <drears at MIL.ARMY.PICA> writes:
>  I am on a VAX 8600 running ULTRIK 2.0 trying to execute a rsh on a
>SUN386i running SUNOS 4.0.1 (hostname drun).  My login name on both
>machines is drears and I have .rhosts configured properly to rlogin/rsh
>between machines.
>
> I am trying to run the following command on the VAX:
>
>tar -cf - .|rsh drun  tar xf -
>
>I get the error message back:
>
>stty:  operation not support on socket

We had the same problem, and eventually figured out that it was
caused by the presence of an `stty' command in the .cshrc file on the
remote machine.  We just deleted it but if you can figure out whether
you are being invoked remotely, you could bypass it in this case but
let it execute when invoked normally. Can anyone suggest the best
method for doing this. I am sure I have seen it somewhere!

Bill Purvis,
SERC, Daresbury Lab, England
wh at uk.ac.dl.cxa        (JANET)