rsh/rcp/rlogin mystery -- help!

Israel Pinkas ~ pinkas at hobbit.intel.com
Fri Jun 23 08:26:52 AEST 1989

I am posting so that others might learn.  I will send mail to Dan, as he
requested.

In article <20086 at adm.BRL.MIL> barrett at crabcake.cs.JHU.EDU writes:

>	 The weird behavior is this:  when I type "rsh myHost who" from my
> two workstation accounts, vs1 executes the command just fine, but vs2 says
> "Permission denied."  Now before you say "Oh, that's OBVIOUS!", consider
> this:
>	 * BOTH vs1 and vs2 have their fully-qualified names, and all
>	   nicknames, in the following files on myHost:
>
>		 /etc/hosts.equiv
>		 /etc/hosts.lpd
>		 /etc/exports		(for NFS)

/etc/hosts.equiv performs the same function as ~/.rhosts.  It tells the
system which hosts are to be trusted.  When a host listed in
/etc/hosts.equiv connects, the daemon assumes that similarusernames on both
machines are allowed to connect.  ~/.rhosts lists machines and users that
are allowed to connect to this account.

In your setup, having vs1 in the hosts.equiv on myhost doesn't help.  What
would happen if I put the name of your machine in my hosts.equiv and su'ed
to barrett.  I would then be able to connect to your account without a
password.

Make sure that all three machines have the other two in their hosts.equiv.
This should solve the problem.

-Israel Pinkas
--
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com at relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas at cadev4.intel.com