6386 shutdown: I CAN'T BELIEVE at&t was really this stupid!

rohan kelley rk at bigbroth.UUCP
Sat Jun 24 01:48:06 AEST 1989

In article <483 at oglvee.UUCP>, jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>                    I look over at the screen one day after a shutdown has gone
> to completion, and what do I see as the final line on the screen:
> Reboot the system now.
>                   One day they have to move the machine, so they have to unplug
> it.  Like good little campers they go through shutdown.  They are all ready to
> hit the power switch, and then they see this stern admonition:  "Reboot the
> system now."  "Oh, OK, well the computer TOLD ME to reboot ..."  So they
> reboot, chatter with someone else in the office for a minute, then turn the
> power off ...
>
> All right, so AT&T flubbed this, no big deal, I'll just edit whatever shell
> script has this abortion in it.  I look at /etc/rc0.  Not there.  In

About the only thing you can do is write a shell script in /etc/rc0 like:
echo "ANYONE WHO FAILS TO IGNOR THE NEXT MESSAGE WILL BE SHOT AT SUNRISE...."

Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk (office)
                                   novavax!mdlbrotr!rk (home)
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse