ULIMIT adjustment in System V kernel creation

Pim Zandbergen pim at ctisbv.UUCP
Sun Jun 18 09:28:21 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jun16.165538.27038 at eci386.uucp> clewis at eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <32409 at apple.Apple.COM> ric at Apple.COM (Ric Urrutia) writes:
>
>And that the correct default ulimit is infinity (or as near to it as you
>can get...).

[ description of a wrapper to set ULIMIT to 2147483647 (2^31 -1) deleted ]

DON'T set your ulimit to anything higher then 2143289343 (2^31 - 2^22 - 1)
if you are running System V release 3, or you will have problems
with cpio(1).

When restoring from a tape with, cpio will fail to write a file if
the size of a file exceeds the ulimit. There is, however a bug in
cpio, where it will not write any files if the ulimit is higher then
2143289343.

It will fail with the message:
	file skipped: exceeds ulimit by n bytes
where "file" is the name of the file to be written,
and n = (2^31 - ulimit) * 512 + size,
where "ulimit" is the current ulimit,
and "size" is the size of the file to be written.

As a special case, n = -(2^31) + size,
if ulimit = 2143289344 (2^31 - 2^22)

This bug is present in cpio in System V release 3.1.1 on the AT&T 3B2/600.
I don't know if it is in any other SysVr3's.

Can anybody with a source license comment on this ?