keyscan wanted

William Kucharski kucharsk at uts.amdahl.com
Tue Jun 6 03:53:43 AEST 1989

In article <607 at wn2.sci.kun.nl> medfys at wn2.sci.kun.nl (Victor Langeveld/Tjeerd Dijkstra) writes:
 >There is no need to know what hardware this should be working on.
 >Mr Charles Thayer (Thanks again, Charles!) gave me a perfect solution:
 >
 >int key_pressed()
 >{
 >	int mask=1;
 >	struct timeval wait;
 >
 >	wait.tv_sec=0;
 >	wait.tv_usec=0;
 >	return (select(1,&mask,0,0,&wait));
 >}
 >
 >This can be used as e.g. if(!key_pressed) { do stuff} else { key
 >handling}. Works fine! (As is should (?) on any unix machine)

As long as the machine in question has select(2), which automatically assumes
a UNIX with some BSD extensions - SYSV hacks will have to use poll(2) instead.
--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk at uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.