Short online book reviews on Unix topics wanted

Craig Hubley craig at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 22 09:15:24 AEST 1989

Hi,

I'm soliciting (short) reviews of books on Unix topics.  These will not
be used for any commercial purpose but will go into a public domain file
for uploading to BBSs, mailing lists, newuser files, etc., to provide a
quick and dirty guide to the Unix literature for users/programmers/admins
who may be short on knowledge of various topics.  Unix is now so big and
complex that there are large chunks of it that people don't use even after
being exposed to it for quite some time.  An online 'literature guide' similar
to the introductory material on USENET or on the shells - I know that a
recent Unix book, "Unix in a Nutshell", I think, had such a literaure review,
but it came (of course) from only one set of authors and can't be kept up
to date as easily as an online guide.  I would like to get at least two
reviews of each book.  I see this as a low-maintenance project that can
be kept up ultimately by the net community itself, probably as a periodic
introductory posting to some low-end newsgroup.  It doesn't matter if one
person's review is seen on the West coast, and another abroad - only that
inexperienced people can get a quick idea of how useful a book is from an
experienced person's perspective.  The topic areas of interest that I am
particulary interested in are:

	Unix Philosophy (system, applications, and programming)

	Applications Design and Programming (including distributed apps)

	Tool Programming

	Systems Programming (including Networks)

	Administration (including Networks)

but of course other breakdowns and other areas are possible.

If you have a review to contribute, or any ideas on other ways to get
this going, I'd appreciate hearing about it.  I will of course post the
list here and in a seemingly appropriate group once it's been assembled
in first-draft form.

I am specifically interested in hearing about good books on NFS, general
Unix system administration, a good in-depth Unix overview, and a general
reference on networking standards (OSI, TCP/IP and perhaps even ISDN) -
note this last is orthogonal to Unix as such.  These are the questions that
I personally hear most often.

With the sheer number of folks joining the net, something like this might
help a lot of people avoid looking too silly too quickly.  :-)  And wizards
could point people who bugged them at a standard information resource.

Suggestions are welcome,
--
	craig at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu	"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"