sync, and att support

Dennis dennis at attcan.UUCP
Tue Jun 27 15:13:32 AEST 1989

In article <645 at aurora.AthabascaU.CA>, lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

> Ya, right. Just like you guys are going to take my patches to /bin/mail
> to support networking and add it to the next release ...
>
> [ What do you think Dennis - if I send in the diffs to take the ulimit
> braindamage out of the kernel will it get included in "the next release?" ]
>
> > I believe that a company the size of AT&T that releases its product
> >in source format for a small sub-license fee is doing the right thing.
>
> I'm impressed. For only $65K I can buy the ability to fix your
> mistakes!

Well I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Show me a perfect piece of code? I am not aware that one exists. In fact
   I would be willing to put a bet on it.

2) Since when does a University pay full fare for the source? BTW it's
   100k Canadian or thereabouts.

 My original comments were not to start a flame war but to get people of
your caliber and talent to spend your time proactively fixing things not
complaining about this or that vendor's problems. If you have diffs that
do not contain any proprietary AT&T Sourcecode, why don't you post it or
mail it to people that complain.
 Another point I have to make is that any posting from nebulus does not
have any bearing on the fact that I work for AT&T. This posting on the
other hand is done on company time and I have to adhear to company policy.
If I make a statement from nebulus then it is my personal statement!
 Instead of adding to the constant deluge of garbage that floats around the
net lets fix things and post them. I am not asking you to repair AT&T code
thats partially my job. What I am asking is that you mail me a list of
concerns or problems with AT&T products. I want bugs not "this does not work
like a BSD ....". yes /bin/mail is V7 compatible /bin/mail not BSD ../mail

"Since they don't pay me to think     MAIL:  Dennis S. Breckenridge
 Do I really need a brain?"                  Manager, Integration & Escalation
                                             National Technical Support
                                             AT&T Canada
UUCP: uunet!attcan!dennis             ICBM:  43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W
EMAIL: attmail!breckenridge                  50 megatons should do!