Problems using AT&T 3.1 with a real-time application

Joe Grecco joeg at dialogic.UUCP
Wed Jun 28 00:12:34 AEST 1989

I am attempting to use AT&T 3.1/386 to do a real time application and
after many hours of successful operation, I have run into a problem.

The scenario:

	We have several expansion cards all using the same interrupt vector.
The application transfers data from files to the device via reads/writes.
Occasionally during heavy activity (ie lots of interrupts) and >50 processes
running, the system PANICS.

 	PANIC: Kernel mode trap. Type 0xE

Using crash, I find this to be the kernel stack just before the trap.

	rcopyfau()
	s5readi()
	rdwr()
	read()
	systrap()
	sys_call

There is also *sometimes* a NOTICE just before the PANIC:

	NOTICE: getcpages - waiting for 1 contiguous pages

My guess is that I may be running out of memory and getting into a situation
where the kernel can't cope. (Some guess :-)

Not having access to the kernel source, makes this particularly difficult
to figure out.  Anyone who can figure out WHAT is happening and hopefully
give me a way around it, please let me know.

PS:	I'm currently trying to reproduce this on Interactive/ix 2.0.1 and
	AT&T release 3.2