Sizing RAM usage in a SUN

J. Hopkins jim at melpar.UUCP
Wed Jun 28 22:31:59 AEST 1989

	I am trying to calculate the amount of RAM taken up by application
tasks in a SUN 4/260.  My local SUN rep. told me to use pstat or ps.
Pstat reports sizes in "pages" which I believe are 8k bytes each.
There are two "size" fields one is SZ which is the executable image and
the other is the RSS which is the "real" size in RAM.
The result is that every task using sunview windows has an RSS of 1 Meg or
more and a SZ of a few hundred k bytes. Non-window tasks have more
reasonable sizes.

	Questions:
	1) Is there a better way to evaluate size than pstat and ps?
	2) Is Sunview really a memory pig?
	3) Where are shared library sizes accounted for?
           Are they in each entry of a pstat?
	   (i.e. I'm adding them in multiple times)
	4) How can I get an accurate RAM usage for each task?
	5) How can I get the RAM taken up by shared libraries?
	6) If there is enough physical RAM to hold the tasks will there
	   still be swapping?
	7) What is vmstat telling me?

	Any comments or solutions will be greatly appreciated.
	Please send responses to uunet!melpar!jim.

			Thanks