man pages...

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Jun 1 17:25:09 AEST 1989

In article <535 at bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt at bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
> man pages should be available for lots less than $10,000 - a Sun
> binary license would give them to you, for example.

The $10K figure, is what you pay (in addition to source license stuff)
to obtain the sources for "machine readable documentation" from AT&T.
This includes the sources for both the man pages and various guides/manuals
such as the adminsistrators guide, streams primer and so on.

The usual pattern is to replace "unix" and "3bx" with whatever you're
calling unix and your machine, make local customizations and print your
reference manual set and also create "man pages".

Since man pages therefore "cost extra" and also require "nroff/troff"
to format for display, some vendors have chosen to unbundle them or
bundle them with their "text processing packages" which you have to buy
to get nroff/troff support.

Last I checked, they're current to SVr3.1.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net