What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

John Hall jhall at amc-gw.UUCP
Sat Jun 3 05:22:52 AEST 1989

In article <5021 at stiatl.UUCP> ashok at stiatl.UUCP (Ashok Yerneni) writes:
|In article <395 at amc-gw.UUCP> jhall at amc-gw.UUCP (John Hall) writes:
|>
|>Device driver interfaces, distributed files, and resources all could
|>be implemented as servers, and each server could handle it's own security,
|>resource allocation, etc. dynamically.  Also, you could have servers
|>do wildcard parsing.  Think of all the traverse(), parse_path(),
|>search_file(), routines that would obsolete.
|
|  a typical problem with server based implementations is the additional
|  layer of software that slows down the overall performance. A typical example
|  is the comparison of performance between kernel based windowing systems like
|  SUN view and server based systems like Xwindows.

  I would be willing to take a performance hit in namei(), if this idea
  was well implemented.  Think of the incredible functionality it would
  provide!  In any case, namei() is used only when opening "files" and
  slightly lower performance here would not affect system performance
  much at all.

|Ashok Yerneni                                             gatech!stiatl!ashok
|Sales Technologies, Inc
|3399 Peachtree Rd, NE
|Atlanta, GA
| off (404) 842-9319
| res (404) 634-4398

John "Down Ball" Hall    > Volleyball isn't just a sport ... it's a religion! <
Applied Microsystems Corp. | Disclamer:  "Did I say that???  My mind must |
Voice: (206) 882-2000 x654 | be out to lunch.  I hate when that happens!" |
UUCP: uunet!amc!jhall      | Ollie's Disclaimer: "I don't recall..."      |