overhead of namei (was: ... would you want in the GNU OS?)

Snoopy snoopy at sopwith.UUCP
Sun Jun 4 03:53:08 AEST 1989

In article <400 at amc-gw.UUCP> jhall at emu.UUCP (John Hall) writes:

|  I would be willing to take a performance hit in namei(), if this idea
|  was well implemented.  Think of the incredible functionality it would
|  provide!  In any case, namei() is used only when opening "files" and
|  slightly lower performance here would not affect system performance
|  much at all.

"With the addition of the two caches, the percentage of system time
devoted to name translation dropped from 25 percent to less than 10
percent."

	_The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System_
		by Leffler, McKusick, Karels, and Quarterman

It appears that namei() soaks up more cycles than one might expect.

  /_______\   qiclab!sopwith!snoopy			|  	  |
    |___|     parsely!sopwith!snoopy			| tekecs  |
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy		|_________|

		"I *am* the next man!"  -Indy