What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Mon Jun 19 01:38:50 AEST 1989

In article <20037 at adm.BRL.MIL>, dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil writes:
> >From: Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net>
> >... Any sort of fancy new command option scheme [will never fly in Japan].

> Why not?

I don't know... you didn't leave enough of the message for me to figure out
what's going on. I suspect, though, that you're combining two seperate
things here: fancy new command option schemes, and restricted file names.
The first is bad because it will break working scripts (you think it's tough
to install News today?). The second because different countries have different
definitions of what funny characters in file names *are*.

> And why are we suddenly so concerned about internationalization?

I'm an international.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.