What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Paul Hudson paul at moncam.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 03:09:23 AEST 1989

In article <20037 at adm.BRL.MIL>, dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil writes:
> >From: Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net>
> >... Any sort of fancy new command option scheme [will never fly in Japan].

> Why not?  And why are we suddenly so concerned about internationalization?

Becuase not all users of a future GNU OS will live in ths US, or use English
as their first language. Stop being so parochial.

Since we have a chance to remove some of the stupid retrictions in the
existing stuff, let's do so. 8bit characters everywhere. Locale-specific
messages. Why not? Properly done it shold have little impact on what the US
version will be like, so you shouldn't mind.

Paul Hudson	 MAIL: Monotype ADG, Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 4FQ, UK.
		PHONE: +44 (223) 420018	  EMAIL: paul at moncam.co.uk,
	;"	  FAX: +44 (223) 420911		 ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!paul
 `"";";"        "/dev/null full: please empty the bit bucket"