What kinds of things... (really: nfs mounting files)

MFHorn arosen at hawk.ulowell.edu
Thu Jun 1 07:07:04 AEST 1989

In article <7018 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <SMARTIN.89May29072600 at iemsun.dhc> smartin at iemsun.dhc (Stephen Martin) writes:
>> I would like to see a way to NFS mount or remotely link a specific file
>> without having to mount a whole directory.
>
>The "mount point" must be a directory, but it turns into a "file" when a
>remote file is mounted on it.
>
>I haven't the faintest idea whether it is "supposed" to work or not, I was
>a bit surprised when I discovered this "feature" by accident.

I too was surprised to find it work (SunOS 4.0 mounted a DG/UX 4.02 file).
But if you stop and think that all diskless clients 'mount' a swap _file_
from the server, it makes some sense that it should work.

--
Andy Rosen           | arosen at hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it