Unexpected NFS Effects

Chris Maltby chris at softway.oz
Mon Jun 19 12:05:55 AEST 1989

Jonathan I. Kamens writes:
: Now, NFS can draw no distinction between a root user making a read
: request and a kernel [...] making read requests, and there is no
: difference in NFS between a "read for user viewing" and "read for
: execution" request.

So that's how it is, I'm sure. The question now is "Why?". I can't think
of any reason why you couldn't pass a "read for execution" request distinct
from a "read as data" request. I guess someone crocked the design... (:-)
--
Chris Maltby - Softway Pty Ltd	(chris at softway.sw.oz)

PHONE:	+61-2-698-2322		UUCP:		uunet!softway.sw.oz.au!chris
FAX:	+61-2-699-9174		INTERNET:	chris at softway.sw.oz.au