Unexpected NFS Effects

Ken Hayman ksh at itd.dsto.oz
Thu Jun 15 05:37:13 AEST 1989

We have a network of Sun 3/60's which have most of their files mounted from a
3/280 server via NFS. Both the server and the clients are running SunOS 3.5,
although I believe the effect is the same under 4.x. The server is configured in
the "secure" mode, where "root" on a client is mapped to "nobody" on the server
before access is granted, and this appears to be, in the main, working as
expected (eg I can't become root on a client then write into an NFS-mounted
directory).

An interesting effect that we found though involves files with mode 711 (I
suspect the 7 isn't important, but it doesn't work if the files are 700).
Given a such a file on the NFS mounted file system (ls -lg would show, eg,

-rwx--x--x  1  user   group   10 Jun 14 10:00 file

), it has been found that if I log in a root on a client I can cp the file,
despite not owning the file (and not being part of "group").

Now I would expect that, if "root" was mapped to "nobody" on the server then I
should only have execute access to the file, and cp should give "permission
denied". My question is, is this
        a) a known bug
        b) a new bug
        c) expected behaviour?

If the answer is (c), WHY is it expected behaviour (it seems intuitively
reasonable that if I haven't got READ access I shouldn't be able to copy the
file)

Ken Hayman