rsh & tar

Rene' Seindal seindal at skinfaxe.diku.dk
Fri Jun 2 05:29:07 AEST 1989

drears at pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:

#   I am on a VAX 8600 running ULTRIK 2.0 trying to execute a rsh on a
# SUN386i running SUNOS 4.0.1 (hostname drun).  My login name on both
# machines is drears and I have .rhosts configured properly to rlogin/rsh
# between machines.

#  I am trying to run the following command on the VAX:

# tar -cf - .|rsh drun  tar xf -

# I get the error message back:

# stty:  operation not support on socket

# Any ideas on how to accomplish this in a one step command?  "rcp -r"
# won't work either.

# Dennis

Check you .cshrc for stty commands, and make sure they are only
run for interactive shells.  You can test whether a shell is interactive by
looking at the 'prompt' variable.  If it is set, the shell is interctive,
otherwise it is not.

Rene' Seindal (seindal at diku.dk).