rsh & tar

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Fri Jun 2 08:30:40 AEST 1989

In article <19836 at adm.BRL.MIL>, drears at pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:

>   I am on a VAX 8600 running ULTRIK 2.0 trying to execute a rsh on a
> SUN386i running SUNOS 4.0.1 (hostname drun).  My login name on both
> machines is drears and I have .rhosts configured properly to rlogin/rsh
> between machines.
>
>  I am trying to run the following command on the VAX:
>
> tar -cf - .|rsh drun  tar xf -
>
> I get the error message back:
>
> stty:  operation not support on socket
>
> Any ideas on how to accomplish this in a one step command?  "rcp -r"
> won't work either.

Try doing it in the other direction.  In other words:

log into drun and do an rsh command to the vax:

rsh vaxmachinename cd whereever \; tar cf - . | tar xf -
                                ^
                                be sure to put in the '\'

I do this very often to port directories from one machine to another
to retain the symbolic links modify dates on the files.

****
The other possibility of the error occuring is that you are doing some "stty"
command in your .cshrc file on the remote host.  This is not allowed in rsh as
there is no tty on whitch to do the command.  Any stty's should be only in the
.login file.
****